Know Before You Connect – FAQs
View the short tutorial video before you begin and take time to become familiar with how to navigate the site in advance of the first session you attend.
Starting Friday, October 23, you can login and build your custom agenda and download it to your personal calendar. View how to build your agenda here as well as other important tutorials to help you navigate the ASHG 2020 virtual platform. Plan each day by visiting the online schedule. Abstracts are available here as well as within the platform. The online planner does not sync with the ‘agenda’ in the virtual platform.
- To search your inbox, search “from:email@example.com” or the subject “Registration Information – ASHG 2020 Virtual Meeting”
- Login details were sent to all registered attendees on October 23 and again on the 26th.
- New registrants after October 22 should look for login details in their registration confirmation.
Visit the Tutorials Page to learn how to
- Create your personal agenda/itinerary and download it to your calendar
- Build and customize your profile
- Use the resource center
- Network using the chat lounges and the Remo platform
- Networking Opportunities and Chat Lounge Schedule:
Certificate of Attendance and/or Certificate of Participation are available to download from the Resources tab within the platform.
Help desk hours, in-platform
- Friday, 10/23 9 am-5 pm US ET
- Saturday, 10/24 9 am-5 pm US ET
- Sunday, 10/25 9 am-5 pm US ET
- Monday, 10/26 9 am-5 pm US ET
- Tuesday, 10/27 9 am-5 pm US ET
- Wednesday, 10/28 9 am-5 pm US ET
- Thursday, 10/29 9 am-5 pm US ET
- Friday, 10/30 9 am-5 pm US ET
Tech Support: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Code of Conduct – includes a link to report code of conduct violations/concerns for attendees, staff, etc.
- Photography Policy
- Social Media Guidelines and Policies
Session Tips & Tools:
Questions for speakers? Use the Questions and Answers tab, not the Chat tab. ASHG encourages attendees from all career stages to ask questions.
- Interact with your fellow attendees to just say hello or share your excitement about the content.
- ASHG’s policy prohibits video capture, screen recording, screenshots, audio recording, or taking pictures of speakers and their slides.
- We encourage you to share your thoughts through our social media channels using #ASHG20 unless a speaker’s preference is to opt-out. Speakers will note this at the beginning of their presentation.
- Please reference the Handouts tab to download additional resources, if provided by presenters.
Hear a brief overview of tips and guidelines you can use when attending a session in the ASHG 2020 Virtual Platform.
As part of our registration, you receive access to all scientific presentations (invited, plenary, platform) as well as access to the Career Development Day sessions and on demand content such as workshops, award presentations, e-posters, poster talks as well as live content offered by industry (CoLabs/Industry Education Events).
Registration is available throughout the meeting.
Click here to register.
Press receive complimentary registration and should register here. Credentials are required.
Registration rates starting October 24 are:
Member: Student/Trainee: $218
Nonmember: Student/Trainee: $333
Developing Country – Tier 1 Member: $75
Developing Country – Tier 1 Trainee Member: $42
Developing Country – Tier 2 Member: $150
Developing Country – Tier 2 Trainee Member: $84
Members and non-members will be able to register for the meeting after the meeting ends. New membership closes October 30. Registered members also receive 50% off 2021 membership dues. A discount code for 2021 membership will be emailed to you in early December. See below for additional membership information
You can view CME/CEU approved sessions in the online schedule
- The application to apply for credits will be available starting October 30, 2020 after the Virtual Meeting
- The deadline to apply for CME, PACE and CEU credits is Monday, November 30th if you would like to receive your certificate this year. If you would like to receive a certificate next year you can apply until October 25, 2021
CME/CEU credits are an additional $50 per credit type. Prior to October 30, you can add-on CME/CEU credits to your registration here. Beginning October 31, you can purchase CME/CEU credits here. You will receive an email post-meeting to apply for the credits; you will not receive credits unless you complete the post-meeting application.
For additional information, visit our Continuing Education Credits webpage.
New for 2020: CME/CEU credits are also available for OnDemand sessions. Click here for more details.
Format of Sessions
Plenary Sessions: 15 min talks + 5 min Q&A. Each session has 4 speakers. The COVID-19 late breaking session has 6 speakers, and follows a 10 min talk + 5 min Q&A format.
Platform Sessions: 10 min talks + 5 min Q&A. Each session has 6 speakers and there are six sessions that happen concurrently. See the schedule for details.
Invited Sessions: Each session has 4 speakers each. Time for Q&A varies by session. See the schedule for details.
Posters are hosted through a third-party secure site. You must login to view posters and chat with authors and other registrants visiting the poster at the same time as you. Posters are available on demand only.
- Posters are not eligible for CME or CEU credits.
- The deadline to upload posters was October 6. We extended this deadline upon request. It is no longer possible to upload your poster if you missed the deadline.
- Poster authors are not required to be at their poster at a pre-determined day or time. You can contact poster authors to ask questions about their research by emailing them at the contact information on their poster (if provided) or using the Email Presenter link on their poster.
- If a poster was withdrawn, it will not appear in the listing and the abstract will not be available.
- Poster authors are required to register for the meeting.
- Poster abstracts were considered published as of September 8 and are viewable via the Abstract Search Program. Abstracts are now public record and may be referenced by ASHG, media relations staff, and others. Please review the Abstract Licensing/Copyright Policy Agreement and the Embargo Guidelines. If you click on these links, please open in a new window so that you do not exit the virtual platform.
On-Demand Content for the Virtual Meeting
Content is available within 5 minutes after the session has aired and will be available after the meeting for 12 months – until October 2021.
Hours: Monday through Friday, 10:30 am – 5:00 pm
Exhibit staff have access to everything in the platform. They are expected to behave professionally – if any staff see an exhibitor bombing a session chat with “visit our booth” let Carrie/Christina know immediately.
ASHG’s Professional Awards celebrate geneticists for accomplishments in advocacy, mentorship, education, and more. The 2020 recipients will give their presentations during the 2020 Virtual Meeting via pre-recorded award lectures available on demand through the platform.
2020 membership will close on Friday, October 30. A discount code for 50% off 2021 membership will be sent to all registrants who are also 2020 members. This will happen in November.
- All ASHG memberships run on a calendar year basis (Jan 1-Dec 31). Memberships do not roll over.
- The 2020 membership year ends on December 31, 2020. You will stop receiving benefits for 2020 at the end of the year and until you renew for 2021.
2021 membership will open in November. Registered members also receive 50% off 2021 membership dues. A discount code for 2021 membership will be emailed to you in early December.
- Reduced rates for Annual Meeting
- Online subscription to The American Journal of Human Genetics (AJHG) with print version heavily discounted
- No fee for articles published in AJHG
- $600 (20%) discount on the Open Access fee for HGG Advances
- ASHG Member Newsletter: The Messenger
- Access to the ASHG Trainee Forum on LinkedIn and Facebook, trainee programs, career resources, leadership opportunities, educational programs, and quarterly newsletter, The Nascent Transcript
- Leadership opportunities: members may be elected to office, serve on committees, and vote on Society matters
- Policy resources and representation in advocacy efforts
- Professional education webinars
- Access to member directory and member-only content
Member categories and rates
- Regular – Staff, faculty, clinicians, technicians, and other genetics professionals interested in research in human genetics or in issues pertaining to human genetics ($205)
- Early-Career Professional – Early-career genetics professionals who have completed training within the last three years are eligible for early-career membership ($65)
- Resident/Clinical Fellow – Advanced-degree genetics professionals in training for clinical positions ($55)
- Postdoctoral Fellow – Advanced-degree genetics professionals working as postdoctoral fellows ($55)
- Graduate Student – Students working toward a post-baccalaureate degree ($55)
- Undergraduate Student – Students working toward a bachelor’s degree ($30)
- Emeritus – Retired genetics professionals who have been ASHG members for the past 5 consecutive years ($0). To receive the print version of the AJHG, add $40 to any member type (except for Emeritus, which will add $60).
Developing country rates are discounted based on World Bank designations:
- Members living and working in Category 1 Nations, defined as World Bank “low-income economies”, shall pay 10% of the dues for the appropriate membership category.
- Members living and working in Category 2 Nations, defined as World Bank “lower-middle income economies”, shall pay 25% of the dues for the appropriate membership category.
- Members living and working in Category 3 Nations, defined as World Bank “upper-middle income economies”, shall pay 50% of the dues for the appropriate membership category. Receive advocacy e-alerts and information about what’s going on in Washington D.C. so you can stay informed and connected about key issues in genetics policy.