Connect with 8,000 members of the world’s largest community of human genetics professionals—join or renew your membership today.
ASHG membership dues are on a calendar year basis (January 1-December 31) unless otherwise specified. Member benefits and membership categories are outlined below. For further assistance, contact email@example.com or call (301) 634-7300.
- Reduced rates for the ASHG Annual Meeting
- Online subscription to The American Journal of Human Genetics (AJHG), with print version heavily discounted
- No fees for articles published in AJHG
- NEW: $600 (20%) discount on the Open Access fee for HGG Advances
- Access to the ASHG Trainee Forum, trainee programs, career resources, educational programs, and quarterly newsletter The Nascent Transcript
- Leadership opportunities by serving on committees or the Board of Directors and voting on Society matter
- Policy resources and representation in advocacy efforts
- Public engagement through the Genetics Engagement & Education Network
- Access to member directory and member-only content
Questions? Check out the membership FAQ!
We are proud to announce new, reduced dues rates for ASHG members from developing countries starting in 2020. The dues structure is based on the World Bank Developing Country categories. Prices are automatically calculated in your purchase.
- Members living and working in Category 1 Nations, defined as World Bank “low-income economies,” shall pay 10% of the dues for the appropriate membership category.
- Members living and working in Category 2 Nations, defined as World Bank “lower-middle income economies,” shall pay 25% of the dues for the appropriate membership category.
- Members living and working in Category 3 Nations, defined as World Bank “upper-middle income economies,” shall pay 50% of the dues for the appropriate membership category.
|Membership Category||Full Price||Category 1||Category 2||Category 3|
Staff, faculty, clinicians, technicians, and other genetics professionals interested in research in human genetics or in issues pertaining to human genetics
|Early Career Professional
Early-career genetics professionals who have completed training within the last three years
Advanced-degree genetics professionals in training for clinical positions
Advanced-degree genetics professionals working as postdoctoral fellows
Students working toward a post-baccalaureate degree
|Undergraduate Student Membership
Students working toward a bachelor’s degree
Retired genetics professionals who have been ASHG members for the past 5 consecutive years
Joint membership with the European Society of Human Genetics (ESHG) is available for the following additional fees, subject to change.
- Regular Member – add $111
- Trainee Member (Resident/Clinical Fellow, Postdoc, Graduate Student) – add $44
To receive the print version of AJHG, add $40 to any member type (except for Emeritus, which will add $60).
Membership Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: Why join ASHG?
A: ASHG is the world’s largest professional organization for human genetics and genomics. It’s a global community that offers access to the field’s best and brightest, as well as opportunities for education, career advancement, leadership, and recognition. Read more about membership benefits.
Q: How soon do I get membership benefits after I join?
A: Your membership benefits are active the date your dues are paid in full.
Q: How do I join or renew, and pay my dues?
A: If this is your first time becoming a member or renewing your membership, you will need to complete the membership application online. You may also download the paper application (print versions available for non-trainee members and for trainee members), complete it, and mail or email it back to ASHG.
You have three options for paying your dues:
- Recommended option: You may pay in full to join, reinstate, or renew online.
- You may pay by phone by calling the ASHG Membership Department at (301) 634-7300 Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time.
- You may mail your payment to ASHG:
American Society of Human Genetics
ATTN: Membership Department
6120 Executive Boulevard, Suite 500
Rockville, MD 20852
Q: What is the membership year?
A: All ASHG memberships run on a calendar year (January 1 – December 31).
Q: What payment methods does ASHG accept?
A: ASHG accepts money orders; a check drawn on a U.S. bank, in U.S. currency only, and made payable to The American Society of Human Genetics (ATTN: Membership Department); or Mastercard, Visa, American Express, or Discover credit card. Checks drawn on foreign banks cannot be accepted. Persons in countries with currency restrictions should contact the Membership Department for assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org. ASHG does not accept purchase orders.
Q: What is ASHG’s Federal Tax ID number?
A: 52-1419397. Please note that membership dues are not tax-deductible. If you make a contribution to ASHG’s general fund, you may deduct that payment.
Q: How do I obtain my membership receipt?
A: A confirmation email and receipt will be emailed to you shortly after your dues payment is received and processed. If you do not receive the email, please contact the Membership Department at email@example.com.
Q: How can I receive a membership invoice?
A: Please contact the Membership Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. If the invoice must include specific information as required by your institution/organization, please be sure to include that information in your request.
Q: What are the membership categories and annual dues?
A: There are membership categories for each stage of your career:
- Regular – Staff, faculty, clinicians, technicians, and other genetics professionals interested in research in human genetics or in issues pertaining to human genetics
- Early-Career Professional – Early-career genetics professionals who have completed training within the last three years are eligible for early-career membership
- Resident/Clinical Fellow – Advanced-degree genetics professionals in training for clinical positions
- Postdoctoral Fellow – Advanced-degree genetics professionals working as postdoctoral fellows
- Graduate Student – Students working toward a post-baccalaureate degree
- Undergraduate Student – Students working toward a bachelor’s degree
- Emeritus – Retired genetics professionals who have been ASHG members for the past 5 consecutive years
Joint memberships with the European Society of Human Genetics are available for the following member categories:
- Resident/Clinical Fellow
- Postdoctoral Fellow
- Graduate Student
Q: When will I receive my membership card?
A: Once your membership dues payment is received and processed, your membership card will be emailed within two days. If you haven’t received your e-card, please contact the Membership Department at email@example.com.
Q: What is my ASHG Member/Customer ID number?
A: Your ASHG member number is printed in the upper left-hand corner of your ASHG membership receipt and on your ASHG membership card. If you still cannot find your member number, please contact the Membership Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: How do I become/renew as an Emeritus member?
A: Please contact the Membership Department at email@example.com to update or change your membership to the Emeritus category. You must verify that you have been a member with ASHG for 5 consecutive years and are no longer working or retired.
Q: How do I change my membership category?
A: You should select your membership category when or prior to submitting your membership dues payment each year. If your membership dues payment was submitted prior to your membership category changing, contact the Membership Department at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the change.
Q: How do I cancel my membership?
A: If you no longer wish to be a member of ASHG, please email email@example.com. If you wish to become an active member again, you will need to submit the membership application and dues payment to re-activate your membership.
Q: How can I access my online subscription to AJHG?
A: It takes about one week for your online access to AJHG to activate. You will need your ASHG membership ID number and last name to activate your account. Please refer to the AJHG website for step-by-step instructions. For technical assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: I only paid to receive online access to the AJHG but now I also want to receive the printed version. How do I update this?
A: Please contact the Membership Department at email@example.com to update your journal preference.
Q: I purchased the print journal add-on when I joined/renewed my membership but I never received it or am missing a copy. How do I resolve this?
A: Members providing payment after January 1 will receive the next month’s printed journal and subsequent printed issues. No back issues will be mailed. Please verify that your membership address is accurate by logging into your ASHG account. If your information is correct and you still did not receive the print issue, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: What is an ASHG account?
A: An ASHG account provides you access to your membership profile, and is the best way to join, renew, and manage your membership. Some of our programs also require an ASHG account, including:
- ASHG Annual Meeting registration
- ASHG Board or Committee nominations
- ASHG Awards nominations
- Annual ASHG Board of Director Elections
- Annual DNA Day Essay Contest
- ASHG/NHGRI fellowship program
Q: I lost/forgot my password to my ASHG account. How can I reset my password?
A: You can reset your password here. The page will prompt you to enter your username to reset your password. Your username is the email address associated with your membership. You will then receive an automatically generated email from email@example.com notifying you that your password has been reset. If you do not receive the email, be sure to check your spam. In the email, click on “ASHG Portal”, and the page will prompt you to enter your new password. Your password will not reset unless you’ve entered a new password. If you’re still having trouble resetting your password, please contact the Membership Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: How do I change my username/email address to log into my ASHG account?
A: Your username is the email address associated with your membership. If you need update your username/email address, please contact the Membership Department at email@example.com.
Q: How do I change my name in my ASHG account?
A: Your name cannot be changed online. If your name has changed, contact the Membership Department at firstname.lastname@example.org to have your name updated.
Q: How do I change my contact information with ASHG?
A: Members may go online to their ASHG account or email changes to email@example.com.
Q: How can I update my email subscription preferences?
A: You can update your preferences my logging into your ASHG account, and going under Email Subscriptions.
Q: Why doesn’t my name appear in the online public membership directory?
A: If you opted in to the online public membership directory when you joined/renewed, your name should appear once your membership dues payment is received and processed. If your name still does not appear, please contact the Membership Department at firstname.lastname@example.org