Deadline: December 13, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time.
An ASHG Interactive Invited Workshop is an educational or instructional event that relates to scientific scholarship, research tools, new technologies, skill development, or public information related to science. Workshops are expected to include interactive components, in order to provide ASHG members and Annual Meeting attendees with programs of relevance and value. Please note: Commercial workshops are not eligible.
Due Date: December 13, 2018
Decision Rendered: Mid-March 2019
Proposal Requirements: Workshop description, title, and audience; additional panelists/speakers; technical requirements
Workshop Duration: 1.5 hours; requests for time extensions should be included in proposal
Topics Considered: Software and skills useful to genetics professionals, with lots of opportunity for interactivity
Benefits: Proposers and one additional organizer are provided complimentary registration to recognize their special contribution to the Annual Meeting
- All requests for Interactive Invited Workshops must be submitted online by December 13, 2018.
- The proposals will be reviewed and selected by the 2019 Program Committee.
- The proposer must be a current ASHG member.
- Accepted workshops will be scheduled on Tuesday-Saturday (subject to change by the Program Committee). Requests for specific dates and times will be considered, but are not guaranteed.
- ASHG seeks to promote training in new technologies and may support certain workshops more than once. However, Invited Workshops chosen in a given year are not guaranteed for acceptance in subsequent years. Developers of successful recurrent workshops are encouraged to seek outside support in order to transition to ancillary slots.
- ASHG will cover the cost of room set-up, audiovisual equipment, and appropriate internet requirements for the workshop.
- ASHG will not cover travel expenses for proposers or speakers. However, complimentary registration for up to two organizers and/or speakers is provided.
- Workshops will be assigned to meeting space in the San Diego Convention Center or the headquarters hotel.
- Workshops will be 1.5 hours (90 minutes) in length.
- Proposers will be notified of acceptance in April 2019.
- If a workshop is accepted, registrants will be charged a small fee to attend (typically $15-$25, depending on workshop time and equipment needs). Non-registrants are not permitted to attend workshops.
You will need the following:
- Proposer name and contact details
- Speaker/panelist name(s) and contact details
- Workshop topic
- Workshop title
- Workshop description (100-200 words)
- Workshop learning objectives (4)
- Feedback from other meetings, if applicable
- Workshop audience
- Preferred seating arrangements
- Additional audiovisual equipment needs
- Need for the workshop and value to meeting attendees;
- Value of this type of interactive workshop over independent learning;
- Workshop content and plans for evaluation;
- Likely impact of the workshop;
- Ability to accommodate workshops in available rooms;
- The number of times ASHG has hosted the workshop (or similar ones);
- Balance of topics within the set of workshops to be offered (clinical, basic science, trainee development, etc.);
- Cost to ASHG to offer the workshop.