2019 New Initiatives and Special Features
ASHG 2019 features several new initiatives and special features to help attendees connect with the latest human genetics and genomics science – and one another – in novel, productive ways.
Plan to arrive Tuesday for three concurrent invited sessions starting at 1:00 pm, including the ASHG/ESHG Building Bridges session on Potential Policy Implications of Genetic Research into Educational Attainment.
Horizon Plenary Session on Saturday
Stay through Saturday for the final session of the meeting to catch up on the most exciting discoveries presented during the week. Leave Houston prepared to tell your colleagues what they missed. Scientific leaders from the ASHG Program Committee and key speakers will share important breakthroughs and practical takeaways in this energetic, interactive session rounding out the meeting.
ASHG’s first-ever Career Fair, held in the Exhibit & Poster Hall on Wednesday and Friday, will connect attendees at all experience levels who are seeking jobs with exhibitors that are actively hiring. Meet with hiring companies face-to-face, and maximize your chances of job exposure by creating a profile on the online ASHG Career Center.
Panel-Style Interactive Sessions
Select Invited Sessions will include panel discussions in addition to traditional didactic talks. Panelists will facilitate dynamic dialogue on the latest lab practices and regulatory considerations. Come away with crucial information to take back to your lab or clinic.
Inspiration Lounge with AJHG Editor Bruce Korf
Expanded Inspiration Lounges
These lounges, located in the Exhibit & Poster Hall and in the Grand Ballroom foyer on Level 3, aim to create formal and informal opportunities for attendees to connect and discuss the meeting’s exciting research while grabbing morning coffee, lunch, or an afternoon snack. Thought leaders will be scheduled each day around specific topics and sessions. Stop by to discuss what you learned and share innovations and ideas for bringing it to your home laboratories or clinics. The schedule will be available in early September.
Focused Learning Opportunities
The schedule features several events designed to extend scientific concepts to related applications and create opportunities to engage with Society programs. These include:
- ASHG/National Society of Genetic Counselors: Achieving Successful Collaborations in a Research Setting
- ASHG Communications Workshop: Going Global, Going Local
- Perspectives on Germline Gene Editing Regulation: An ASHG Forum
- CoLab Sessions
A new evening Diversity Reception, open to all meeting attendees, will recognize and celebrate the importance of diversity, as well as provide networking for the research and training community.
Solutions Hub in the Exhibit & Poster Hall
The Exhibit & Poster Hall is your one-stop solutions hub! It’s jam-packed with new technology, exhibitors, posters, and educational opportunities:
- CoLab Theaters – listen to 30-minute technology-based talks throughout the day.
- Poster Sessions – the very latest science is presented every day.
- Networking/Inspiration Lounges – talk to your peers in the genetics and genomics community about what you’ve just learned in a session or burning questions in your field, and bring this valuable information back to your workplace.
- ASHG Central & Career Resources –connect with ASHG and get your questions answered, get career advice, or browse job opportunities.
- Hundreds of exhibiting companies showing the latest technology and services, ready to collaborate and generate solutions!
Custom Itineraries for Attendees
We will create lists of exhibitors relevant to attendees’ interests and area of work tailored to attendees who:
- Follow the basic science research track and work in academia
- Follow translational science and work in academia
- Follow the clinical track and work in a medical environment
- Are interested in clinical research
- Are interested in bioinformatics and big data
- Are a genetic counselor
Custom itineraries will be available in September.