Dear ASHG Members,
The American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG), in partnership with the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ACMG), and the National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC), is conducting a survey to better understand the demographics of the genetics and genomics workforce, as well as the climate and culture in training programs and the workplace. We are pleased to also be working with groups such as the Association of Professors of Human and Medical Genetics (APHMG), the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ABMGG), and the Minority Genetic Professionals Network (MGPN).
The primary aim of the survey is to collect demographic, culture, and climate workforce data to develop recommendations for evidence-based strategies to enhance diversity within the workforce. These data will also be used to determine the factors that impact the building of an inclusive workforce. As a research community, we all understand the importance of data and its potential to transform and accelerate culture change.
Two different surveys will help us get closer to our goal. The surveys are intended for all ASHG members to complete and will be disseminated mid-February.
- Individual Member Survey:
- This survey will ask questions about your demographics, education, career & training, program culture & satisfaction, and workplace climate.
- Institutional Leader Survey:
- Academic: Collect information about the number and demographics of faculty members, staff and students within your department or program, as well as the professional resources and programs available to faculty and staff.
- Non-academic: Collect information about the number and demographics of employees within your organization, as well as the professional resources and programs available to your employees.
Dana Crawford, PhD, Chair, ASHG Diversity & Inclusion Task Force
Claudia Gonzaga-Jauregui, PhD, Co-Chair, Alliance for Genetics & Genomics Workforce Diversity Advisory Group
Neil Risch, PhD, Co-Chair, Alliance for Genetics & Genomics Workforce Diversity Advisory Group