In 2016, the Parliament of Canada debated bill S-201, the Genetic Non-Discrimination Act, which would ensure that all Canadians can benefit from genetics-based clinical advances without fear of genetic discrimination. ASHG has long supported the establishment of strong protections against genetic discrimination worldwide, and as such, advocated in favor of S-201. The bill was signed into law in early 2017.
- News: Protecting Canadians against Genetic Discrimination (Aug. 2020)
- Press Release: ASHG Applauds Passage of the Canadian Genetic Non-Discrimination Act (March 2017)
- Letter to Parliament Leaders Encouraging its Passage in the House of Commons (November 2016)
- Statement in Support of S-201 (May 2016)
- Advocacy Materials for Grassroots Support of S-201 (May 2016)