We are excited to welcome you back to the east coast of the U.S. for the ASHG 2023 Annual Meeting which will take place November 1-5 in Washington, DC. You can expect to experience five full days of exciting science from platform talks to the robust exhibit and poster hall. The Society’s Program Committee is already assembling an exciting slate of invited sessions submitted by your peers that highlight emerging research and novel applications on a variety of topics to meet our attendees’ diverse education needs.
This year is exceptionally special as ASHG celebrates its 75th anniversary which will be commemorated throughout the meeting by the inclusion of a Saturday night party (ticket required) at the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center. More information will be posted on our annual meeting website in coming weeks. This year’s meeting will also include the ever popular trainee-focused reception and an exciting Presidential Symposium organized by this year’s President, Brendan Lee, MD, PhD. Stay tuned for information on member housing and the preliminary schedule for the meeting to be available in April and registration for the meeting to open in the first week of May.
What better way to participate in this historic moment than to submit your abstract for a chance to present your science. The abstract submission site will open on April 19 and will close June 8. If that’s not convincing enough, we put together a list of reasons why you definitely should not miss this opportunity.
- Submitting an abstract is FREE for ASHG members.Save on costs! There is zero cost to submitting an abstract if you are a current ASHG member. Non-members will pay a non-refundable fee of $50 USD. To have the fee waived, we encourage submitters to join/renew their membership prior to submission. For more information about submission fee breakdown, you can visit our website.
- Make an impact.By sharing your work, you not only propel the knowledge of your peers in the field, you also fuel collaboration across disciplines that can lead to future discoveries.
- Advance your career.Submitting an abstract allows you to build on presentation skills while also having the ability to receive valuable feedback from established researchers and geneticists within the field. This not only helps strengthen your research but may also open the door to your next career move! Don’t forget to bring plenty of business cards to exchange information.
- Expand your international network.Discussing your findings with other leading experts from around the world expands your international network and can lead to future collaborations across labs. It also provides the unique opportunity for your research to be recognized on a larger platform.
- Eligibility to apply for Human Genetics Scholars Initiative and travel awards.Submitting an abstract for ASHG 2023 qualifies you to be considered for the Human Genetics Scholars Initiative Program. ASHG, in partnership with NHGRI, Biogen, GSK, Roche, and Merck & Co., Inc launched this program in April 2019 to help advance diversity and inclusion in the field and it was designed to develop and sustain a community of researchers across generations committed to diversity and inclusion, who are willing to foster sustained attention to these issues in their research institutions and training programs. Applications for 2023 will open in May.For individuals living in resource-limited countries categorized by the World Bank as having low income or lower middle-income economies, you will also have the opportunity to apply for a Resource-Limited Country Award to help defray the costs of ASHG Annual Meeting participation. Award recipients receive up to $3,000 for meeting-related travel expenses, complimentary meeting registration, and complimentary membership. Interested members will have the opportunity to indicate interest during the abstract submission process. ASHG member trainees who submit an abstract can apply for the ASHG Trainee Award for Excellence in Human Genetics Research, which recognizes highly competitive abstracts submitted and presented at the ASHG Annual Meeting. 30 predoctoral and 30 postdoctoral trainees are selected as semifinalists. Interested members will have the opportunity to indicate interest during the abstract submission process.
Get Started! Check out our abstract guide video on YouTube for additional pointers and tips on how to plan, write, and format your abstract.
2023 IMPORTANT DATES & DEADLINES
- Abstracts Open: April 19
- Registration Open: Early May
- Abstracts Deadline: June 8
- Member Housing: Mid-April