A draft bill introduced in May 2019 sought to reform Section 101 of the U.S. Patent Act. If passed, the legislation would allow for the patenting of genes by effectively overturning the 2013 Association for Molecular Pathology (AMP) vs. Myriad Supreme Court decision.
- Joint Letter from ASHG and ACMG Leadership to Bill Sponsors (July 2019)
- Group Letter to Congressional Leaders (June 2019)
- ASHG News: ASHG, AMP, and Partner Groups Oppose New Bill Allowing Gene Patenting (June 2019)
- AMP community letter: on patent reform (Jan. 2021)
- ACLU community letter: on patent reform (June 2021)