Poster Author Information and Instructions
By following the instructions and guidelines below, your poster presentation will go smoothly. Please read all information carefully BEFORE coming to the meeting.
Poster Size and Layout
Each author will share a poster board with one other author, and each will have a useable area measuring 2'10" (86.36 cm) wide x 3'8" (111.76 cm) high. This is a portrait/vertical format. Poster materials may not extend outside the assigned half-board.
New for 2015: Attendees may take photos of posters if the poster author agrees. Authors who do not want their posters to be photographed will have to indicate as such on their posters, using an image file supplied by ASHG. This image should be placed at the top right corner of the poster at a minimum size of 3” (7.62 cm) x 3” (7.62 cm).
Download “No Photos” Image
Poster Presentation Rules and Guidelines
- Audiovisual equipment is not permitted in the poster board area.
- As part of your presentation, ASHG requires disclosure of gene names and sharing of research data so that findings can be replicated and other investigators with similar data can test findings against their own. Authors who do not provide gene names at the meeting will be subject to sanctions as determined by the Program Committee.
- When presenting data and health information (including photos), all presenters must have informed consent compliant with human subjects and applicable HIPAA regulation.
- Authors must disclose on their poster whether the abstract has been previously published (prior to October 2015). If the abstract has been previously published, authors should indicate the date and publication.
- When preparing your poster, please check the poster size guidelines before printing (see above).
- You must register and wear an official ASHG 2015 scientific meeting badge to gain admittance at any time to the poster areas. If you would like to invite a guest (e.g., friend, colleague, etc), he or she must complete a Guest Registration. Unregistered guests are not permitted to attend the poster sessions.
- All poster boards will be pre-numbered.Please be certain to mount your poster on the correct board.
- Remember to bring your own pushpins (in your checked luggage). A very limited number of pushpins will be available at the meeting.
- Do not leave personal materials or belongings under poster boards or in the poster area. ASHG is not responsible for any articles left in the poster area or elsewhere.
- There will be no access to the Exhibit Hall before 9:00 am on Wednesday or after 2:30 pm on Friday.
- See our suggested format for abstract citation.
We do not accept requests to change presentation dates or times, and it is no longer possible to withdraw your abstract. If you are unable to present on the day assigned, please ask a co-author or colleague to present on your behalf.
Poster Mounting, Presentation, and Removal Schedule
Authors must put up and take down their posters according to the schedule below. Authors must be present at their boards for the duration of their scheduled presentation time. Posters should remain on the boards for all three days.
The letter W, T, or F of the program/abstract/board number indicates the day (i.e., Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday) on which authors present their work. The number indicates the board you are to use for displaying your poster. Posters should remain on the boards for all three days.
9:00 am-11:00 am
All poster authors (Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday) place posters on boards
Note: Posters should remain on the boards for all three days.
9:00 am-7:00 pm
Posters available for general viewing (Exhibit Hall is closed from 2:30-4:30 pm)
Poster Session I (Wednesday Authors Present)
5:00-6:00 pm (odd poster board numbers; author must be present)
6:00-7:00 pm (even poster board numbers; author must be present)
9:00 am-3:00 pm
Posters available for general viewing
11:00 am-1:00 pm
Poster Session II (Thursday Authors Present)
11:00 am-12:00 pm (odd poster board numbers; author must be present)
12:00-1:00 pm (even poster board numbers; author must be present)
All authors remove posters from boards
You will not have access after to the poster area after 2:30 pm
Exhibit Hall and Posters closed
10:45 am-12:45 pm
Poster Session III (Friday Authors Present)
10:45-11:45 am (odd poster board numbers; author must be present)
11:45 am-12:45 pm (even poster board numbers; author must be present)
Designing Effective Posters
Effective poster design requires careful thought and advance preparation. The following suggestions will help in preparing effective posters.
- Identify 2-3 principal messages you have to convey. Choose a title that captures your main point.
- Prepare a heading at the top of your poster indicating the abstract title, authors, and affiliations.
- Lettering should be at least 1" (2.54 cm) high.
- Summarize current research in graphic form whenever possible; use charts, tables, graphs, pictures, etc. and minimize the amount of text.
- Arrange materials in columns and use 'white space' to help direct readers logically through your poster.
- If you do not want your poster to be photographed, be sure to include the “no photography” image at the top right corner of your poster, at a size of 3” x 3” or larger.
- Prepare your poster on laminated poster paper, fabric, or cardboard, allowing for space to mount it on the poster board with push pins.
- Posters should be self-explanatory but not comprehensive. You will supplement and elaborate during your conversations with others.
Tips for Illustrations
- Your presentation must be readable from distances of at least 3' (90 cm). Keep visuals simple and clear.
- Provide information in smaller type below the heading. Details of methodology should be brief and should be placed at the end of the legend.
- Simple use of color can add emphasis.
- Do not write or paint directly on the poster boards.
Traveling with Your Poster
In case your poster does not arrive, we suggest you bring a smaller version of your poster on 8½" x 11" size paper as well as a copy of the poster on a USB thumb drive so that it can be printed on site. Many airlines now require that poster tubes be checked rather than brought as carry-on luggage. Please check with your airline prior to traveling.
Poster Printed for Pickup at the Meeting (Optional)
Deadline: October 1
ASHG has partnered with ABC Imaging located inside the Baltimore Convention Center, Pratt Street Lobby, Level 3, to give you the option of printing your poster for pickup when you arrive in Baltimore. Details can be found on the ABC Imaging website: http://conventioncenter.bpol-ng.com/. The cost is $80 per poster. The deadline is October 1. All posters will be printed on a satin finish paper.
For questions, call 410-649-7194 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Poster pickup hours will be posted in September.