Hotel Reservations
Rates and Descriptions
Hotel Walking Directions to Convention Center
Hotel Changes/Cancellations
ADA/Special Needs
Bulletin Board for Room Sharing/Car Pooling
Travel Information/Pre-and Post-Stays



Visa and Passport Information



Citizens or Residents of the United States

A valid passport is now required for any person entering or returning to the United States. For an overview of the current travel document requirements, click HERE. For more information on these requirements, visit the Web site of the U.S. Department of State, the Department of Homeland Security or Citizenship and Immigration Canada.



International Visitors

Visitors traveling to Canada from all countries must present a valid passport (with at least 6 months left before the passport expires). Before entering Canada, all visitors are responsible for ensuring that they have the required documents necessary, whether they are travelling through to another country or returning to their country of origin. For more information, visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Please read below for important visa information.


Requests for Letters of Invitation

Letters of invitation can only be issued to confirmed registrants, defined as those who have paid the registration fees. After you have registered, you will be given a link that automatically generates the letter of invitation for you. For security purposes, letters of invitation cannot be sent via postal or electronic mail if you have not registered for the Congress. If you have questions, please contact


Visa Information




Please click HERE for a list of countries where a visa is required before entering Canada. Attendees (that require a visa) are encouraged to apply for visas as early as possible (at least 6 months prior to your travel date). Registration refunds will not be issued for denied visas. To assist you with the visa application process:


  • Register for the Congress as soon as possible (at least six (6) months prior) so that you can receive your letter of invitation to attend. You must register for the ICHG 2011 meeting before a letter of invitation can be issued. Registrants will automatically receive a letter of invitation as part of their registration confirmation.
  • Provide your entire trip itinerary, including travel to any countries other than Canada, at the time of visa application.
  • If completion of travel plans is contingent upon early approval of the visa application, specify this at the time of the application.
  • Provide proof of scientific status (for example, proof that you submitted an abstract for the meeting). Do not wait until you receive notification that your abstract has been accepted before applying for a visa. It is very rare that an abstract is denied. If your abstract followed the rules and guidelines, it will be accepted and programmed.
  • Provide the ICHG 2011 Meeting Web site URL and copy of your letter of invitation.
  • Provide evidence that you are intending to return to your country of residence. This includes such information as:
    • family ties in current country of residence
    • property ownership
    • bank account
    • an employment contract or statement from an employer showing that your position will continue after the dates of the meeting
  • Requirements vary by passport-issuing country and citizenship (not merely residency).



Personal Baggage and Gifts for All Visitors


Personal Baggage

Clothing and goods for personal use during your stay are admitted to Canada duty-free. In most provinces, limited quantities of tobacco products may be brought in duty-free by persons 18 years and over. Similarly, limited quantities of alcoholic beverages may be brought into Québec by persons 18 years and over. Items such as cameras, tape recorders, computers and sporting equipment should be registered with the customs service in the traveler's country of residence prior to departure in order to prove they were purchased prior to entry into Canada.



Visitors to Canada may bring in gifts of a maximum value of $60 CDN. Duty must be paid on any gifts in excess of this amount. Tobacco, alcohol and promotional materials may not be considered as gifts. Visit the Canada Border Services Agency Web site for more detailed information.



The Congress organizers believe the information on this site is correct but take no responsibility for its accuracy and present it only as a guide to attendees. Participants are advised and encouraged to make their own inquiries about visa and passport requirements.



Further Information

You will find more information at these links provided by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.


Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Information on visiting Canada
Do you need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to visit Canada?
Important information for visa-exempt travelers
Where to send your application for a visa
Visa Offices outside of Canada